Thursday, June 08, 2006

Taking Matters Into My Own Hands

Some of you might recall that on my list of things I wanted to do before departing Japan was to find and raise a stag beetle from the larva stage. I was unable to find a larva in the wild, however, so I decided to "find" and purchase a larva at the store. Yes, they sell beetle larvae at the local hardware store--Gotta love this country!


With a little love and tenderness, my larva should grow to look something like the beetle in this corny Japanese TV show featuring sleeping J-talent Eiji Wentz being awoken by an insect pinching his nose:



I can't wait for my little "Hasami (Scissors)" to mature!

:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jaigamogirl, your blog is really brilliant, and so is the bug brothers'. I found them because I am marko / chibimarkochan's friend.

Those pictures are incredible!!! is there really a name for an insect which is Machikitsusurubanekuwagata? Amazing.

June 09, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Thanks, cathy! Yes, there is actually an insect by that name. Stag beetles and rhinoceros beetles are so much the rage here for kids, that my boys can name just about all the various kinds on sight.

June 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet