Saturday, June 24, 2006

Musical Chairs of Association

At precisely 6:00 this morning, it struck me that Japan has forever affected my musical associations. The timing was not random, for the wakeup call of Edelweiss had just commenced over my village's loud speaker, as it does every morning. I will think of these wakeup calls moreso than The Sound of Music whenever I hear it played. Other scrambled music associations I have acquired here include:


  • Auld Lang Syne. It will make me think of the closing of Japanese stores each evening as much as the closing of passing years each New Year's midnight.
  • The Beatles. The group is classic, but I now associate John, Paul, George and Ringo with Japanese men singing bad karaoke. It seems Beatlemania never left this country.
  • The Carpenters. This sibling duo has also become Japanese to me (and not because Karen Carpenter was rail-thin and died from anorexia). I can't believe they're so crazy about them here. Does anybody even listen to them in the States? (I'm not suggesting they should.)
  • Englishman in New York. I still love this song, but from now on, whenever I hear Sting sing its lyrics, somewhere in the back of my mind I will also be hearing lyrics to Jamaican in Japan--a song set to the same tune but with alternate lyrics performed presumably by a Jamaican singer. I hear it quite often on the airwaves.
  • Tupac. I don't listen much to this rapper's music, but whenever I do hear it, I think of the train station 2 villages over grafittied with his name.
  • White America. This ditty from one The Eminem Show album will forever conjure up memories of my not-so-White Japanese high school's cultural festival where this song was blasted uncensored over the sound system.
  • When the Saints Go Marching In. This song has absolutely no religious meaning in this country, unless Mr. Max has a cult that I'm not aware of. The Japanese department store obviously isn't clued in to the strategy of playing pleasant music so customers shop longer. I can no longer hear the melody without the obnoxious singing of, "Oh happy day! Blah, blah, blah, Mr. Max!" (Okay, so maybe I don't know it word for word, but that's not due to lack of exposure.)
  • Take Me Home, Country Roads. The country roads I envision when this John Denver hit is played are no longer in West Virginia, but in inaka Japan. Maybe that's why the Japanese love this song--they have so many country roads to link it to.

:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry. This won't last long. Well...at least some of these associations won't last long.

June 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, I have the same associations. Of course this is my second time through Japan. I think its something I will always carry. Of course it could be that I'm just crazy enough to want to remember them.

June 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess when I stopped hearing the songs in these particular contexts, I no longer made the associations. And maybe I wanted to forget them :)

June 25, 2006  
Blogger Sarah said...

they must have the same 10 foreign songs on repeat because the carpenters songs and countries road are 2 songs i have rarely heard in the states but hear all the time here..maybe japan is a foreign music wasteland...

June 25, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Killdeer & Brandt: I'm about 50/50 on wanting to keep these associations. Some of them are more pleasant than others (as are the songs). Love you, Brandt...Uh, and you're a swell guy, Killdeer.

Sarah: What do you mean by "maybe"? ^_~

June 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right, Sarah. There was this McDonalds in Aioi that played only 50's music...and they were great songs, but I'd never heard a single one of them on oldies stations in the US.

JG: Uh, good to know I'm swell. I learned how from Nick at Nite. (Let's see if you or anyone out there gets that.)

June 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way. A lot has changed while you've been gone, JG. Nobody says "swell" anymore. Hopefully that isn't too much of a shock for you when you return :)

June 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The video you had with the kuwagata pinching Wentz Eiji is no longer avaiable... *sob sob* I liked the video because it's just so funny. But now, no more...

June 26, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Hey, Beav! Er, I mean hey, killdeer! I'm aware they don't use "swell" anymore in the U.S., but I brought it back just for you.

Anonymous: Oh no! That was one of those rare clips from Japanese tv that I truly enjoyed. (i_i)

June 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet