Friday, June 16, 2006

Black & White Discussion

One of my high school students started a hybrid English-Japanese conversation concerning race with me today during reading class. Here's my fully translated version:

Student: Were there students with black faces when you were in high school?
Me: Black faces?
Student: Black people.
Me: No, there weren't any at my school.
Student: Do you hate black people?
Me: No, of course not.
Student: Really?
Me: Really. There just wasn't many where I lived.
Student: I hate them!
Me: (Briefly stunned from shock.)
Student: (Grinning proudly.) But I like white people.
Me: Why do you hate black people?
Student: Because they are scary.
Me: What's scary about them?
Student: They are big and fast and strong. They have lots of muscles.
Me: Aren't there some big, fast, strong Japanese people with lots of muscles?
Student: Yes...
Me: Are you scared of Japanese people then?
Student: No, but...

Just then the bell rang, signaling the end of the class. I wish I could've said more, but hopefully I at least got him thinking.

:

Blogger Snowdrops said...

Thanks for this post.. actually such an attitude is not uncommon in Asian societies which associate Whites as rich and modernised and Blacks as poor and backward... that is, unfortunately not that different from racist attitudes in Western societies themselves, which is rather sad... It's all the more heartening therefore that in the World Cup this year the Japanese team has a black player to represent the country. I just hope that Japanese football won't go down the road of English football in terms of racism, and I surely hope that it won't become a situation whereby ethnic minorities are seen as only suitable for certain lines of professions or industries (e.g. music, sports, restaurants, newsagents, etc.).

It's therefore very heartwarming to read about how you've dealt with these attitudes when confronted with them. Thank you for helping the guy question some of his preconceived prejudices. It's a small but necessary step towards intercultural understanding.

June 21, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Glad you appreciated the post. BTW, scary about the break-in at your house!

June 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet