And So the Rain Begins...
I'm one of those unfortunate people cursed with a hideously contorted crying face that frightens young children and adults alike. What's worse, when I cry more liquid exits my nose than my eyes. As a result, I abhor crying in public and do so as seldom as possible. I prefer venting my emotions of sadness in private (and near an economy-sized box of tissue).
But today was my final day teaching at my once-a-week high school. Although I like the students and get along with the teachers there, I thought I would have no problem keeping the waterworks from starting, as the only time I have ever cried during a non-funeral formal-like situation was at Jared's graduation from Japanese kindergarten. However, when a teacher I have come to know well began telling me farewell just before I headed for home, he was brushing tears from his eyes. If there is one thing besides pride for my children that can make me cry openly, it is other people crying. He told me how I had a wonderful heart and I was special--how there was no one he had ever met like me and how I could never be replaced.
The good news is, I managed to leave the building before my eyes overflowed with water. The other good new is that, due to the onslaught of tsuyu, it was pouring down rain, so if my face was contorted, no one could see. On the way to the train station, I read farewell letter one of my students had handed me earlier. It said, "Today is rain. This rain is my tears."
I hate goodbyes.
But today was my final day teaching at my once-a-week high school. Although I like the students and get along with the teachers there, I thought I would have no problem keeping the waterworks from starting, as the only time I have ever cried during a non-funeral formal-like situation was at Jared's graduation from Japanese kindergarten. However, when a teacher I have come to know well began telling me farewell just before I headed for home, he was brushing tears from his eyes. If there is one thing besides pride for my children that can make me cry openly, it is other people crying. He told me how I had a wonderful heart and I was special--how there was no one he had ever met like me and how I could never be replaced.
The good news is, I managed to leave the building before my eyes overflowed with water. The other good new is that, due to the onslaught of tsuyu, it was pouring down rain, so if my face was contorted, no one could see. On the way to the train station, I read farewell letter one of my students had handed me earlier. It said, "Today is rain. This rain is my tears."
I hate goodbyes.




:
"hideously contorted"? C'mon, JG. Everyone's face changes when they cry.
That's wonderful that you made such an impression on the teachers there.
I did start to cry in the first of my last classes. And it was right at the beginning of class. When I stood there and realized that this was the last time I would ever teach them...yeah. It still makes me cry. That class was (and still is to this day) my best group of students. If all goes well, I'll be attending their graduation next February.
Yes, everyone's face does change when they cry. But does everyone's face look like they are possessed by demons?
I think one of the reasons I felt touched by the teacher crying and what he had to say is because he disliked me in the beginning. In fact, he wouldn't extend the customary "Hajimemashite" when we met because he was upset that my schedule wouldn't allow me to stay until 6 doing English club. It amazes me how much our relationship had changed since then.
You should have seen if you could re-apply for JET. Becky H has managed to get re-accepted to the same city, as she had second thoughts about leaving Japan.
No, it was definitely time for me to go. I had no second thoughts about it.
I guess I know what you mean. I'm glad I stayed a 3rd year, but it's definitely time for me to return home.
Thats so sad!!!! awwwwww!!!!!! i would have been crying in the classroom!
Post a Comment
<< Home