Fushigina (Mysterious)
Last night I finally made it to bed around 12:30. After lying on my futon about 15 minutes, I began drifting off to sleep. That's when I distinctly heard the sliding glass door in Jared's and Everett's adjacent bedroom open, and the type of noises that result from someone stumbling around an unfamiliar place in the dark followed. I figured it must be one of the kids disoriented from having woken up in the middle of the night. But why would they open the door to the balcony? I reluctantly dragged myself out of bed to see for myself what was going on.
I entered the bedroom to find both boys sound asleep and snoring on their futons, positioned exactly as they were when I tucked them in hours earlier. However, unlike hours earlier, the sliding door leading to the outside was ajar. I'm positive it wasn't open before. I immediately attempted to close the door, but there was a piece of wood placed on the door tracks, so it would not shut completely. It was lodged such that it was almost like someone had placed it there deliberately. I dislodged the wood, closed and locked the door. I woke up Jared (which took a while because he was in a deep sleep) and asked him if he had opened the door. He said he hadn't and that it wasn't open earlier. On normal nights, I would have hesitantly blamed the ocean wind, but there wasn't even the slightest breeze outside. Jared and I were both a bit shaken by the experience, so I ended up dragging both boys into my room to share my futon, door latched and cell phone within reach.
Although I didn't get any sleep last night, we were all left unharmed, so I really can't complain. But I'm still curious as to what exactly went on last night.
I entered the bedroom to find both boys sound asleep and snoring on their futons, positioned exactly as they were when I tucked them in hours earlier. However, unlike hours earlier, the sliding door leading to the outside was ajar. I'm positive it wasn't open before. I immediately attempted to close the door, but there was a piece of wood placed on the door tracks, so it would not shut completely. It was lodged such that it was almost like someone had placed it there deliberately. I dislodged the wood, closed and locked the door. I woke up Jared (which took a while because he was in a deep sleep) and asked him if he had opened the door. He said he hadn't and that it wasn't open earlier. On normal nights, I would have hesitantly blamed the ocean wind, but there wasn't even the slightest breeze outside. Jared and I were both a bit shaken by the experience, so I ended up dragging both boys into my room to share my futon, door latched and cell phone within reach.
Although I didn't get any sleep last night, we were all left unharmed, so I really can't complain. But I'm still curious as to what exactly went on last night.




:
thats pretty scary Cindi! maybe you should let the police know (or at least your supervisor) just in case.
that is freaking..things are going wrong in yamaguchi ken..first the Hagi murder, then more recently my friends business got robbed (in little old susa). be careful...
That is freaky! Maybe one of kids is a sleepwalkers and after opening the door they put themselves back to bed? I like that you've settled on Fushigina rather than 恐い (scary, according to babelfish)
yes, tell your supervisor, so they are prepared in case you have to call them in the middle of the night if you ever hear noises again!!! i hope you will be ok now, am sure you will be.
CM: I don't know what good it would do to tell the police, as I didn't see anyone and nothing was taken or harmed. I mentioned it casually to my supervisor, though.
Sarah: Stuff happens here all the time. In the past couple of months in Shimonoseki, for example, a high school girl was gang-raped (and a news reporter was one of the people arrested), there's been multiple family suicides, and a couple killed their children (before backing out of killing themselves) because they were in debt. Japan is safer than a lot of countries, but not as safe as many of us would like to think.
Speaka: You've been using a lot of Japanese lately. Are you sure you wouldn't rather be here instead of NZ? 恐い is more commonly written as 怖い, although they're both pronounced "kowai".
It's possible that one of the kids sleepwalks, although that could even be worse, as their bedroom's on the 2nd floor.
Beck: Supervisor's informed, but I don't think he'd be the first person I'd call. I'd probably call the police and one of my local friendly housewives.
Gillian: Good idea. I'll talk to the neighbors. Hopefully it wasn't one of them! If anybody, it was probably someone trying to steal underwear, as is common here. But it really worries me because I have kids that draw a lot of attention. I hope it wasn't about them.
Just a thought... I live on the second floor too and when everything is very quiet in the dead of the night, I can clearly hear the dowstairs glass sliding door and people moving about. You would swear it was right next door. Could it have been that?
My apartment is 2-stories and at the end of the building. The nearest neighbors are on the opposite end of the building. Also, Jared's and Everett's balcony door has a distinct squeaky-creaky thing going on, unlike the other 3 outside sliding doors to our apartment. I suppose it's possible that I heard the neighbor's door if it has the same problem, but I swear it was the kids' door, and I doubt I would've been able to hear any stumbling around in someone else's apartment... Maybe it was a ghost? (Except I don't believe in them.)
Post a Comment
<< Home