Why I Will Miss Japan (Reason #10)*:
I realize Kat just posted a strikingly similar reason she will miss Japan on her blog. Is it wrong for us both to miss the same things? Besides, this is kind of like a tribute to her post. In attempt to avoid complete plagiarism, I will name some specific characters I will miss that were not included on Kat's list:
Aokubidaikon: Who wouldn't love a giant radish who visits onsen (Japanese hot springs), appreciates the Japanese aesthetic of wabi-sabi, and sips astringent green tea while sitting seiza style?
Domo: A brown brick-shaped creature who shares a home with a rabbit and two bats. You can see what he's doing round the clock by visiting his website.
Little Bony: This cute little skeleton and his pal, Mightydog, have their own segment in the NHK children's show Karada de Asobou ("Let's play by means of our bodies"). A bit childish, but childishness is usually an ingredient for cuteness.
Monchhichi: Furry monkeys that suck their thumbs. They are even more adorable to me personally because of their natsukashii (nostalgic) value. Monchhichi used to be big in the States during the late 70s/early 80s (my childhood). In fact, my older sister had one and I envied her!
Nyanko: There's something so wrong about a furry white cat on food that makes it so right.
Ochainu: I hate to think about the amount of money I've spent trying to win one of these "tea dogs" in those arcade claw games. And I still don't have one! I tried to get one in a McDonald's happy set, but they were out of Kuryuku (the green one--my favorite).
Pantsu Pankurou: A young rhinoceros in white briefs who is mastering potty training. I love that he bows to his toilet after he finishes taking a dump.
Pucca: Okay, so she's Korean, not Japanese. But she's still excessively cute, and I discovered her while in Japan. Visit her site and watch the animation shorts of her torturing Garu, the object of her affections. I predict she will become the "Hello Kitty" of Korea.
*Disclaimer: Jagaimogirl and her affiliates cannot be held accountable if exposure to the characters mentioned in this post should cause nausea, vomiting, or other adverse side effects.
Had enough of cuteness? Check out the latest post about a strange creepy-crawly at www.theBugBrothers.blogspot.com.




:
i enjoyed this immensely ^_^ I'm sure a few of our choices will overlap-i should really aplogise for this seenas i ...er...adapted...well...stole your idea in the first place!
but it did force you to pic some of the more obscure ones which was mint! well done
never really did get into the whole characters culture, but would like to learn more about pucca
I won a Aokubidaikon in Osaka at Namko land. It was in a UFO machine and I got it first go. I was sooooo happy. I am strangly attracted to this weird character.
Oh and ask Lauren how much I like Nyanko. I bought a burger cat in Tokyo. Cool... yet again, weird!
Kat: Thanks. I like your post a lot, especially the part about the cuteness culture.
Sarah: Pucca's possibly my favorite. Have you clicked on her link and watched the animation shorts? They rock.
TJ: Erin has an Aokubidaikon, too, so we're not alone in our fondness for him. ^_^
Post a Comment
<< Home