Tuesday, April 04, 2006

What Do You Think About Ink?

Soon it will be three years that I have been in this country--three years I will never forget. Japan will doubtlessly remain unchanged by my departure, making me inclined to leave some sort of mark to show that I was really here. As I am against the unnecessary defacement of nature and property, I have been considering getting a tattoo to commemorate my time here. But something so permanent is a huge decision. Some questions I've been asking myself are:
  1. If I get a tattoo, will my children be more prone to get their own body mutilations when they're young?
  2. Could a tattoo somehow affect my chances of getting a good job or being promoted?
  3. Even if my tattoo looks good initially, how will it look over time? (As I age, will it emphasize sagging and wrinkles? Will it still keep its vividness or start to look dull?)
  4. Will I be able to decide on a design and size I will always be happy with?
  5. Where on my body would be the best place for a tattoo?

Good things about getting a tattoo in Japan are:

  1. It is unlikely the tattoo artist will make an error if I decide to get kanji (Chinese characters) inked. Mistakes on kanji tattoos are very common in the U.S. (Click HERE to read more.) An example fo this is when my brother-in-law thought he was getting a huge 力, or "strength" tattooed on his back, but it was actually 福, or "good fortune".
  2. I will have a better excuse of why I don't go to onsen (Japanese hot springs), because many of them don't allow tattooed customers.
  3. I already have a couple of interesting ideas for tattoos: a) 古山, my maiden name, and b) my Japanese 家紋, or family crest.

Hmm... Decisions, decisions.

:

Blogger . said...

Do it! I really want one but my parents would disown me.

April 05, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

I think it's a good idea! Go for it! Get it somewhere where it's easy enough to hide it, though. I think they fade over time and you have to get them touched up to keep them looking nice, but it depends on the colours involved (I think blue lasts longest...not that I can speak from experience...)

April 05, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

I have one on my lower back, its small but so easy to cover up..but when i am in a western country i can show it off. good place to get it done i recommend. its painful wherever u get it, so don't choose something too complicated. mine is of a daisy so i remember my niece wherever i am and commemerate my backpacking year...aw aren't i sweet!! and no-one in an onsen has ever batted an eyelid about it so thats no excuse to not go!!!

April 05, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Goongirl: Really? That surprises me. In fact, I'm surprised you don't already have one.

Laura: If it's such a good idea, why don't you have one? ~_^

Gillian: I'm thinking pretty small. (Maybe 4 square cm?). Not only do I want to be able to hide it for professional reasons, I don't want my kids to see it too much, thus putting ideas in their heads.

Beck: I still have to go to an onsen? You're not really persuading me to get one!

April 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you better go to the onsen first. I can't believe you haven't done that yet. Your reasons not to get a tattoo are pretty lame, JG. Just do it. Everybody has tattoos now. They're as common as getting your ears pierced. You wouldn't think twice about doing that, would you? I bet you already have pierced ears.

April 06, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

I'll definitely get a tattoo if you get one, Killdeer. In fact, I'll do it if you just get your ears pierced!

April 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touche, I guess. But I have no desire to get a tattoo, or to get my ears pierced for that matter. I still find it weird that people put holes in their ears and hang jewelry from them. But regardless of how I feel, it’s common for people to do it. That was my point. A lot more people have tattoos, now, even the non-wild ones. And they’re easy to keep hidden, so I don’t think a tattoo would keep you from job promotions. Tattoos don’t have the connotation they used to. Besides, the fact that you are changing your name to a more professional one, I’m sure that will compensate for your tattoo.

April 07, 2006  
Blogger Sarah said...

i have never been partial to tattoos on girls...

April 09, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Thanks for voicing your true opinion instead of just going along with everyone else, Sarah. So do you like tattoos on men?

April 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet