Less than 4 Months Left!
It's time for me to prioritize about what I want to accomplish during the time I have left in Japan. Here's my list of goals so far:
- Spot a wild monkey in the woods by my town.
- See an inoshishi (wild boar) in its natural environment. (Have already seen tanuki, okojo and shika in the wild in Japan.)
- Eat insect cuisine.
- Take part in cosplay.
- Find and raise a kuwagata (stag beetle) larva. (Already have kabutomushi larvae).
- Visit an onsen (Japanese hot springs) and actually go in instead of just standing in front of the building.
- Make an impressive meal of authentic Japanese cuisine.
- Take a picture of a live suzumebachi (Asian Giant Hornet), preferably without being stung.
- Eat shirauo odorigui (live Japanese icefish).
If you have recommendations as to what I should add to this list, please share.




:
have you been to Nara? I'd go there. All these other things you can do back in the states.
Yeah, I've been to Nara twice. It was awesome. Thanks for the suggestion.
BTW, I can't do number 1, 5, 6 (one that requires nakedness, anyway), or 8 in the States. And as for the rest of the numbers: wild boars in America aren't in the Northwest (so I would have to take a long, expensive trip to see one), insect cuisine (at least in my area of the States) would only be available if I prepared it myself (which is not going to happen), I don't want to take part in cosplay in America (what do you think I am, a freak?!), it would be difficult to get the ingredients in America for the type of Japanese meal I want to prepare, and I have no idea where I can eat shirau odorigui once I return. Know of a place?
How can you not have been to an onsen? I don't care so much about being naked - as long as not in front of my students - so maybe it's easy for me. Just get drunk and go or go to one with a family room, so it has only to be you and your husband or family. Uber-me.
Go to a private onsen with all your family.. there is a gorgeous one near Fukuoka i can get you details if u like... you can take your own food and beer in and its just beautiful with rocks around the edge, you don't even have to be naked if u don't want to.
Uber: I know, I know. I can't believe I haven't been, either. I was one of those kids in physical education class that learned to dress under their long t-shirt so no one saw them unclothed. I don't know why it bothers me so much. I'm definitely doing it before I leave.
Gillian: Cosplay = costume play. The kids in Harajuku and at special manga events do cosplay. Wanna do it with me?
Beck: Oooh! Give me the directions!
ok, have emailed my friend to get directions, so will send u them soon hopefully...i think its much better than any public onsen, but maybe i'm a british snob sometimes ha ha!!!;)
Post a Comment
<< Home