Thursday, April 20, 2006

Come Back, Blue Skies!

With this typhoon-like weather our prefecture is having, I thought some of you might enjoy seeing a few pictures I took just last weekend of the nearby Tsunoshima island when the weather was beautiful.

The famous Tsunoshima bridge.

A stone torii (Shinto gate).

Soaring taka (hawk).

The toudai (lighthouse).

Isoginchaku (sea anemone).

There are many tunnel entries like this one throughout Tsunoshima. They were once part of an underground tunnel system that Japanese soldiers used during World War II.

:

Blogger Selena said...

great pictures-- the one of the hawk is really cool!

April 20, 2006  
Blogger Turning Japanese said...

where is tsunoshima?
great shots!

April 20, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Thanks, Choca & TJ.

Tsunoshima is between Nagatoshi & Shimonoseki along the west coast in a town called Houhoku. (Basically about a 15-20 minute drive from where I live.) They filmed a Japanese movie there last year. It's a beautiful place. You really can't mess up pictures of it.

April 20, 2006  
Blogger Kat said...

Great photos! Don't be modest-it takes a certain eye to get such aesthetically pleasing shots! ^_^ what's the film called? X

April 20, 2006  
Blogger Speaka said...

Beautiful pictures! The one of the taka is amazing, as is the Tsunoshima bridge picture.

Can you go in those tunnels? Where do they lead? A secret base? An underground lair?

April 20, 2006  
Blogger Turning Japanese said...

Can I come and stay on a good weather weekend and take photos?

I also love the bridge shot. I would like to get me one of those!

The taka is amazing. Talk about being in exactly the right place at the right time.

Oh and bring the boys to stay one weekend. SAN ZOKU

April 21, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Kat: Thanks for the compliment, but you obviously haven't been to Tsunoshima.

Speaka: They have the tunnels blocked off because they're now unsafe. I think they just lead to different parts of the island.

Alex: Yeah, I've never seen that movie in, either.

Ellen: Sounds good. I have to forewarn you that my apartment is the least nice of all the JET housing I've seen, though. Oh, and my husband laughed when he read that I said it takes 15-20 minutes to get there from our house. He says it's more like 40 minutes, but it doesn't seem that far.

April 21, 2006  
Blogger Speaka said...

Turning Japanese - What would you do with a bridge?

April 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I imagine she'd cross the bridge. That's what I'd do.

April 23, 2006  
Blogger Speaka said...

Makes sense...but where will it lead?

April 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet