Sunday, April 16, 2006

Awakened by an Email

Yesterday I received a curious message through my blog email account from someone I have never heard of before. The author claimed to be an assistant documentary film maker working on a project called Awake, a documentary on "cultures and how they contribute to the world...About who we are as people." Apparently, the project involves visiting 150 countries over the next 3 1/2 years, talking to interesting people from all walks of life. The email went on to say that they would like to interview me(!) during their travels through Japan in mid April (right now) and would be willing to come to me by JR. It sounds really interesting, but very unusual. Do you think it's legit? The project website's at www.awakefilm.com if you'd like to examine it before giving me your opinion.

:

Blogger Speaka said...

Looks legit to me and looks like a very neat project. "Who are you?"

April 16, 2006  
Blogger Lauren said...

Hey Cindi! Get in touch with Dan..he also received an email from those guys...

April 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Might be a sham!!! But what can you lose by helping out? A couple of hours - Maybe some dignity?

April 16, 2006  
Blogger mashio spillip said...

definitely legit but definitely look at the videos before you agree to it. slightly strange. one women thinks she's a traveller from outer space!! Do it!! I think it'll be funny!!

April 16, 2006  
Blogger Turning Japanese said...

I am with Alex... The videos put me right off.
Definately talk to Dan!

April 16, 2006  
Blogger Selena said...

not seen the videos yet, but looks pretty interesting! just be careful that they dont take anything you say completely out of context for the sake of entertainment

April 17, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Thanks for the input, everyone. I've asked Dan about it, but have yet to hear from him. In the meantime, I've viewed some of the videos and am thinking maybe this documentary isn't for me. If I'm going to lose my dignity, I'd like to do it on my terms. But I'm going to recommended Mashio Spillip to them, as I'm sure he won't mind entertaining us all. ~_^

April 17, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

I got the same one too. I watched a few of the videos and ya, they were a bit strange; some just seemed like normal people though. It seems a bit like they may try to twist things into something very religious, but hard to know...

April 17, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

If I had control over the editing process or knew the slant they were trying to give the film, I might be tempted. Are you going to do it?

April 18, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

I told them it sounded interesting, and figured if they came to me, why not. Seems like the timing is not gonna work out though... oh well, not a big loss.

April 18, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Cee Pee: I knew what you meant. Besides, hippies are pretty happy. ^_^

Alex: That would be cool if a bunch of us soon-to-be ex-JETs could get funding to travel and make our own "documentary".

Laura: Come on! Rearrange your schedule! I want to be able to play your excerpts on the net (over and over and over...).

April 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys and gals...I am saw your blogspot on google tonight...I am Jeff Baker the director of Awake! I was really interested in what everyone had to say, the good and bad! The real deal about Awake film is that it is cross cultural documentary aimed at asking the question of Who Are You. We are loving and kind people and I am funding this project as a labor of love. We are posting what people have to say and not slanting anything in any way. If you are put off or on by any of the interviews it isn't because we did anything to coax people. We are not religious, we are not anything....We are just researching the answer to this question. We hope you enjoy this project as something that helps connect our world.
Jeff Baker

June 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet