Thursday, April 06, 2006

About My Maybe Future Tattoo

This is my family crest, which, as previously mentioned, is a candidate for my future tattoo, should I actually get one.

My aunt in America once told me that my family got their crest from the Japanese Emperor's family. She said that long ago, someone from my lineage saved the life of someone in the Imperial family and our crest was payment for the good deed. I wasn't sure if I believed her until I recently found out more about it. As it turns out, the chrysanthemum is usually reserved for representation of Japanese royalty. However, if someone did something especially honorable for the Imperial family, they were often given half of the petals used in the Imperial crest to use in their own. The line in my family crest is the kanji for "one" (also commonly found with half-chrysanthemum crests) , and the circle is an added variation, probably to distinguish from other clans with similar crests. Anyway, I was very interested to find this out.

:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you want to take this honorable symbol and make it into a tattoo. You don't think that's a bit sacrilegious?

April 06, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

People get tattoos all the time to honor things--loved ones, things of religious significance, and other things they admire. What makes you think it's sacrilege?

April 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where will you put it? I think its a great idea for a tatoo :-P

April 06, 2006  
Blogger . said...

I think you should put it smack bang in the middle of your back or on the back of your neck. awesome design. And no I really don't have a tatt.

April 06, 2006  
Blogger Speaka said...

I like it...and agree with goongirl. Between the shoulder blades...

I also have no tattoos...but would like one some day.

April 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I know that. I didn't mean for my comment to be taken so seriously :) But still, based on one of the concerns you wrote about in your last post, I thought it might, um, I mean the nature of the image might change over time. That's all.

April 07, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Stubby: I still am undecided as to where I should put it. I want someplace I can hide easily year-round, but not on my butt (or that would borderline on sacrilige ~_^).

Goongirl: I wouldn't mind the back of my neck (or as I would like to call 'Dark Angel' style), but then I couldn't pull my hair up at work. The middle of my back is a possibility, though.

Speaka: What's stopping you from getting one? Indecision (like myself)?

Killdeer: I can never tell how serious you are in your comments. Sorry if I sounded harsh. ^_^

April 08, 2006  
Blogger Speaka said...

I've decided what I want, an ouroboros, but can't find a good place to put it.

April 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries. I'll try to be more obvious in my non-seriousness.

April 09, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Speaka: That's a cool tattoo choice. The deltoid is a good place to put circular tattoo, I think.

Killdeer: Thanks.

April 09, 2006  
Blogger Kat said...

you so should get it. i'm all for wrist tatoos-small and cute and you can cover it up with a watch...^_^

April 09, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

I'd never even thought of that! I'll have to give it some thought.

April 09, 2006  
Blogger Speaka said...

Unfortunately, I don't have any deltoids. : (

April 11, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

How about the forehead? Everyone's got one of those? ;)

April 13, 2006  
Blogger Speaka said...

Very true!

April 13, 2006  
Blogger megan said...

my friend eliza has her Japanese family crest on her back, left/mid-shoulderblade area. Looks really nice and is positioned so that it can easily be covered up even when she wears tank tops.

April 14, 2006  
Blogger megan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet