Good Times
This morning some students in the hall asked me what I did during my free time in high school. When I told them, I think they either thought my Japanese was atrocious or I was off my rocker. You see, only 2 things came to mind: (1) Cruising and (2) Iceblocking.
Most of you know what cruising is: Driving slowly around in circles with friends down busy sections of downtown on weekends, windows rolled down so you can talk to passengers of other cars doing the same thing. (And yes--there are busy sections of downtown Boise!) You would never do this in Japan because (a) the roads are too narrow, and (b) high school kids can't drive cars.
Iceblocking, however, I'm betting you haven't heard of (and if you have, you were probably talking to me). To iceblock, you and your friends proceed to climb J.R. Simplot's giant hill (he's Idaho's potato billionaire), each with a large block of ice. When you reach the top of the hill (although not too close to his house, as he has vicious guard dogs and hired security), you slide down all the way to the bottom while seated on your block of ice. It's good, cheap fun, but kind of a 'have to be there' thing.
SIDENOTE: I was sad to recently learn that iceblocking is no more because J.R. Simplot donated his famous hilltop home to be the Idaho governor's mansion. I guess all good things must come to an end.
Most of you know what cruising is: Driving slowly around in circles with friends down busy sections of downtown on weekends, windows rolled down so you can talk to passengers of other cars doing the same thing. (And yes--there are busy sections of downtown Boise!) You would never do this in Japan because (a) the roads are too narrow, and (b) high school kids can't drive cars.
Iceblocking, however, I'm betting you haven't heard of (and if you have, you were probably talking to me). To iceblock, you and your friends proceed to climb J.R. Simplot's giant hill (he's Idaho's potato billionaire), each with a large block of ice. When you reach the top of the hill (although not too close to his house, as he has vicious guard dogs and hired security), you slide down all the way to the bottom while seated on your block of ice. It's good, cheap fun, but kind of a 'have to be there' thing.
SIDENOTE: I was sad to recently learn that iceblocking is no more because J.R. Simplot donated his famous hilltop home to be the Idaho governor's mansion. I guess all good things must come to an end.




:
You buy iceblocks at the grocery store for about $1. You do it year-round, except winter (when you can go sledding if you're bored). In 2004, a girl died iceblocking on the hill I talked about. (I'm not joking, either.)
Shh! My mom doesn't know about it.
I've never heard of iceblocking and I'm thinking I should have being from Canada and all. Sounds fun!
Post a Comment
<< Home