Sunday, March 19, 2006

Fishy Business

Yesterday morning at the ungodly hour of 4 a.m., the family and I partially awoke, stumbled to the car, and made our way to the Karato Fish Market in Shimonoseki. We had been there before, but were curious to see what creatures would be present if we went as early as possible.

We didn't see anything hugely out of the ordinary (for Japan, that is), but pretty much everything was still alive, excluding some of the skinned fish and squid. Scary to say, I think I've eaten just about everything I saw at one time or another in Japan.



An overhead shot of the market.

Fugu (poisonous blowfish), a Shimonoseki specialty. The only other food that rivals it in fame here is kujira (whale). In fact, it's so much of a Shimonoseki specialty that the U.S. requires any fugu from Japan to receive the city's seal of approval before it can be imported.

Same (sharks).

Tairagi (fan shell). Approximately 30 cm long.

Kegane (lit., "hair crabs).

Hotategai (scallops) the size of my hand.

Mirugai (lit., "ocean pine tree shell").



Namako (sea cucumber). Feeling hungry? ~_^

Skinned hirame (flounder).

Yariika (spear squid).

Baby ika (squid). Kawaii (cute)!

Tako (octopus).

Skinned tobiuo (flying fish).

Shako (mantis shrimp or squilla).

A very excited Everett with an uchiwa (slipper lobster) he received free from a kind vendor to use as an "omocha" (toy). This was just moments before he burst into tears upon being told he would be eating his new friend for dinner.

Jared and Everett's current blog feature: Fan Shrimp.

:

Blogger Speaka said...

Looks like you could have a seafood feast...did you buy it all? : )

March 18, 2006  
Blogger porchmouse said...

That just made me laugh OUT LOUD so hard. Too funny.

March 19, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

I now feel inspired again to get up early and go see my neighbourhood fishys, its been a while!!! sat nite photos will follow soon ;)

March 19, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Speaka: Yes--and I prepared poisonous blowfish at home for my children to eat. (No, of course not!)

Sue: Yeah, and what was funnier is when he finally stopped crying he got mad and said, "Then I'm going to eat them ALL!"

Beck: You don't need to go at 4 a.m. 5:45 would be fine.

March 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet