Monday, March 27, 2006

An Almost Perfect Night of Sumo

Heading into the 15th and final night of the Spring Tournament, Grand Champion Asashoryu was tied with Hakuho for the lead, each with 13 wins. Although I wanted Hakuho to beat Asashoryu and take the tournament, he was scheduled to fight Kaio, of our neighboring Fukuoka, who needed the win to avoid demotion. Asashoryu would be going up against Tochiazuma, who was tied for 3rd and fighting for pride after missing out on a chance to be promoted to Grand Champion. It was shaping up to be an exciting night of competition.

On our way to the sumo tournament from the train station, there were tons of low-ranked sumo wrestlers (like the one above) on their way to the stadium. Many of them were walking in geta (Japanese wooden sandals--very uncomfortable for anything more than a short distance). There's a lot of glamour and fame involved in being a sumo wrestler, but not until you reach the upper ranks. Until then, you're taking the train like everyone else.


Inside the tournament building, there were cardboard standups of some of the wrestlers, which made for some photo fun:

Two formidable sumo wrestlers (Asashoryu & Jared).

With those red eyes, my hubby looks scarier than Kotooshu.


When the upper-ranking wrestlers began to arrive, we lined up to take pictures, some of which are below:

Hakuho enters the building.


Kyokushuzan, another high-ranking Mongol, with a yakuza (mafia) looking member of his entourage.

Takami Sakari dashes by. I'm sure he wasn't rushing to avoid me--it must've been the other screaming women that scared him off. ~_^

Our seats almost seemed worse than at the last tournament, if that's possible. But for some reason, tons of professional photographers were in the same section. I guess it's time to get a better camera lens.

Opening ceremony ritual for the upper ranks. Takami is the wrestler on the right, by Asashoryu.

Takami Sakari after winning his match. (HOORAY!)

My camera battery gave out just after Takami's bout, so I couldn't take any more pics, even though there was tons of exciting action going on. To briefly summarize:

  • Hakuho lost his match with Kaio, meaning Kaio could keep his rank, but Hakuho would lose the tournament if Asashoryu beat Tochiazuma.
  • Tochiazuma beat Asashoryu, meaning he saved his pride and Asashoryu was once again tied with Hakuho.
  • A tie-breaking match was held between Asashoryu and Hakuho, which Asashoryu ultimately won, the reason for the "almost" to this entry title. (;_;)

The awards ceremony consisted mostly of Asashoryu being handed dozens of huge trophies. Most of the trophies were traditional cup-shaped, but there were also bizarre ones like a cow, a giant container of umeboshi (pickled plums), a container of mushrooms, and a huge silver Coca-Cola bottle. Another of the trophies was so heavy that the man handing it to him almost fell over and had to be caught by two other men.

Four other wrestlers were chosen to receive special trophies, and ALL of them were Mongolian (talk about dominating!). Hakuho received a Technique award and an Outstanding Performance award. It is confirmed that he will receive a promotion to ozeki (2nd highest ranking) before the next tournament. Kyokushuzan received a Fighting Spirit award, and Ama (the pint-size Mongol who's become one of my favorites) received a Technique award.

Ama, the 2nd cutest sumo wrestler.

One to watch in the juryo division (just below the high ranks) is Baruto, the blondish, blue-eyed Estonian. He won all of his bouts for the tournament--something that hasn't been done by a juryo wrestler since 1943. Kotooshu better watch his back!

Baruto.


My kawaii new coffee mug of you-know-who.

:

Blogger bec said...

its time to leave alex...you are turning japanese!! great photos cindi!!

March 28, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Alex: You find geta comfortable, but you don't weigh 150 kilograms. When I first came to Japan, I didn't realize that most people only wear geta for special occasions. I bought some and wore them for regular sandals. (Actually, I still wear them out from time to time, but never for long distances.)

Beck: Thanks. BTW, did you nominate Alex for the turning Japanese award? I can't remember who I nominated. I should've put Alex, though.

March 28, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

i nominated the one who is clearly from last time she was spotted shopping...is beyond help ;)

March 28, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Becky: You suck. :P I wish they had a category for person most stricken by yellow fever. I would so nominate you.

March 28, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

ha ha, well boys are fun, what can i say...!!

March 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet