the Young, the Old & Hello Kitty
Yesterday during my day off I was invited to make mochi (Japanese rice cakes) with the children at Everett's school. This not only gave me the rare opportunity to observe Everett's social life apart from home, it also gave me the rare opportunity to don a lovely pink and white checked Hello Kitty apron without fear of social repercussions. (No, I don't have pictures. Even if I did, I wouldn't post them!)
One thing I admire about Japanese towns is how the elderly remain involved in community activities. When I got to the preschool, old men were busy at work pounding mochi rice. Later, old ladies showed up to teach children how to form mochi balls from the dough. As the old ladies entered the classroom, the teachers shouted (in Japanese), "Here come the grandmas!", which truly excited the children.
It was good to spend time with Everett in his preschool environment and talk to his friends and get beyond the normal "Makurudanarudo hito! (McDonald's people!)" they greet my husband and me with. The only negative thing about the experience is that a photographer covering the event snapped numerous pictures of me in the Hello Kitty apron. I'm hoping and praying my photo doesn't make the front page of the community newsletter. That would be my biggest fashion disaster yet!
One thing I admire about Japanese towns is how the elderly remain involved in community activities. When I got to the preschool, old men were busy at work pounding mochi rice. Later, old ladies showed up to teach children how to form mochi balls from the dough. As the old ladies entered the classroom, the teachers shouted (in Japanese), "Here come the grandmas!", which truly excited the children.
It was good to spend time with Everett in his preschool environment and talk to his friends and get beyond the normal "Makurudanarudo hito! (McDonald's people!)" they greet my husband and me with. The only negative thing about the experience is that a photographer covering the event snapped numerous pictures of me in the Hello Kitty apron. I'm hoping and praying my photo doesn't make the front page of the community newsletter. That would be my biggest fashion disaster yet!




:
Post a Comment
<< Home