Potty Mouth
I remember the shock I felt when I first heard uncensored 50 Cent playing over the speakers in Japanese department store. I rushed to cover my children's ears while non-foreign shoppers remained oblivious and unoffended by the rapper's explicit lyrics. Because Japanese doesn't have an equivalent to English swear words (its so-called bad words seem to be much milder than their English counterparts), it's difficult for Japanese people to understand how a mere world can be so offensive.
Evidentally, being in such an environment has taken its toll on me, because I have inadvertently picked up cussing while living here. It's so strange--I'll accidentally drop something in the staffroom at work and hear someone mutter, "S#$%!" and then realize it was me. I haven't cussed in my life, why now that I am in my thirties and have young children? And another question: If a foreigner says, "#$%&!" in the staffroom and no one understands, does she really swear?
Evidentally, being in such an environment has taken its toll on me, because I have inadvertently picked up cussing while living here. It's so strange--I'll accidentally drop something in the staffroom at work and hear someone mutter, "S#$%!" and then realize it was me. I haven't cussed in my life, why now that I am in my thirties and have young children? And another question: If a foreigner says, "#$%&!" in the staffroom and no one understands, does she really swear?




:
we watched harry potter in class recently and i was a bit shocked at the casual british swearing...went over their heads of course! and the expetive you said...was it the s word or the f word?
Um, actually I've said both...Shh! Don't tell my kids!
Post a Comment
<< Home