Patience is a Virtue
Unlike most of you, I was never thrown a welcome party when I arrived in Japan. Originally my office had one scheduled, but it was canceled for some undisclosed reason just an hour before it was to commence. I presumed it would be rescheduled......That was 2 and 1/2 years ago.
As I was aware welcoming parties are an important Japanese tradition, I initially felt a bit hurt about the ordeal. But after awhile, I began to see the whole thing as quite humorous. In fact, I long ago quit anticipating my nonexistent party and had began looking forward to my farewell party and being able to joke, "It's about time you had my welcome party!" As it turns out, however, I may not get that chance after all.
Earlier this week I was presented an invitation requesting my family and me to attend a party to be held in my honor this Friday. As far as I know, there is no real reason for the party, and I have suspicions that word got back to my office that I've been telling jokes about not getting a welcome party. (Darn you tattletales!) So it looks like this party is probably a very belated welcoming. Although there's no need for people in my office to go out of their way for me anymore (I have very good work relations), the whole thing is rather sweet and should be fun. Maybe good things really do come to those who wait (or at least to those who joke about their misfortunes).
As I was aware welcoming parties are an important Japanese tradition, I initially felt a bit hurt about the ordeal. But after awhile, I began to see the whole thing as quite humorous. In fact, I long ago quit anticipating my nonexistent party and had began looking forward to my farewell party and being able to joke, "It's about time you had my welcome party!" As it turns out, however, I may not get that chance after all.
Earlier this week I was presented an invitation requesting my family and me to attend a party to be held in my honor this Friday. As far as I know, there is no real reason for the party, and I have suspicions that word got back to my office that I've been telling jokes about not getting a welcome party. (Darn you tattletales!) So it looks like this party is probably a very belated welcoming. Although there's no need for people in my office to go out of their way for me anymore (I have very good work relations), the whole thing is rather sweet and should be fun. Maybe good things really do come to those who wait (or at least to those who joke about their misfortunes).




:
Post a Comment
<< Home