Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Childhood Deprivations

There are 2 things on Japanese television that my kids aren't allowed to watch: Comedian Razor Ramon and the animated series Crayon Shinchan. Usually people understand why I'm not crazy about my kids mimicking a man who wears black vinyl hot pants and calls himself "Hard Gay," but quite a few people have told me I'm strict for prohibiting Crayon Shinchan--a smart alec boy who says things to his parents that Bart Simpson wouldn't dare say to Homer or Marge. But those people don't know the true meaning of strict. Below is an incomplete list of television shows I wasn't allowed to watch during my childhood and brief explanations why. I think you'll find it funny--I know I do.

Bewitched: Witchcraft is bad.
Facts of Life: Mom thought it was about the facts of life.
G.I. Joe: Violent.
He-Man: If his powers don't come from God, they must come from the devil.
My Little Pony: It has unicorns in it. Unicorns are a symbol of the anti-christ.
She-Ra: Power from the devil.
Smurfs: They practice sorcery.
Star Wars: The Force is evil. I wasn't allowed to watch this until we bought a beta VCR when VCRs were new (beta had little else available--note that they're not around anymore).
Thundercats: Cats with magical powers?!--The devil can take many forms.
Wonder Woman: She dresses like a harlot.

Crayon Shinchan & Razor Ramon

:

Blogger Turning Japanese said...

I love this blog...
I agree with you about the two banned shows. I can't remember being banned from anything much as a kid but after teaching primary school back at home, I strongly believe that parents should be careful about what their kids watch.
PS... Is your Mum the same even now?

February 21, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Um...No comment.

February 21, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Unicorns are the symbol of the antichrist??! But they're so pretty! "My little ponies" was my favourite show when I was little!
I have a pentacostal grandmother who once told me the magic show I was watching on TV "came from the devil" (which sounds pretty scary to an 8 year old). I've avoided her ever since, and my sisters and I refer to her as "Crazy Grandma"...
Want to come to Fukuoka on Saturday?

February 22, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

i never knew HG meant hard gay...ha ha ha ha. he is like an idol in all my junior high schools...!!!!

February 22, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Alex: My list is only the tip of the iceberg. I couldn't watch trash shows, either. I think Crayon Shinchan is a bit more perverted than Bart. That and he excessively moons people. But Jared catches glimpses of it here and there and I don't freak out. I usually just distract or change the channel.

Laura: What time will you be going to Fukuoka on Saturday? I might be at Costco, so maybe I could somehow meet up with you guys after. Sadly, my mother may eventually become known as "Crazy Grandma," too, although I've tried my best to hide it from my kids. (I'm really hoping she never finds my blog, especially after this post!)

Beck: HG's an idol at Jared's school, too. They do impersonations of him all the time. (o_O)

February 22, 2006  
Blogger porchmouse said...

You weren't allowed watching the Smurfs???? OMG. That is the saddest thing ever. For shame. :)

Sue

February 22, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

My husband wasn't allowed to watch Smurfs, either. I guess that's a sign of a true match.

February 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet