Thursday, January 19, 2006

Who Says Japanese Men Aren't Friendly?

Yesterday morning as I was walking from the train station to my once-a-week school in a town even smaller than my own (can hardly believe it's possible!), I noticed a car slow down as it passed. It was a nice business-like car, and the man inside was about my age and dressed like a typical Japanese high school teacher. He waved and had a look of recognition on his face, so I figured it must be someone I've encountered here sometime during the past couple of years.

Before I knew it, the car had backed up and pulled over and the door swung open wide. I was slightly taken aback, but--heck--this is Japan, and I was in the middle of the countryside. How dangerous could it be? I stepped slightly closer to see what the driver wanted. Here's the translated conversation:

MAN: "Are you Japanese?"

ME: (Okay, so he hasn't ever met me, but maybe he knows my husband and has heard about me.) "No, I'm American."

MAN: "Are you an ALT?"

ME: (Maybe he wants to ask if I teach private English classes--Strangers often pull over to ask my husband the same thing.) "Yes, at Houhoku High School, just down the road."

MAN: "Are you going to work right now?"

ME: (He must be worried about taking up my time.) "Yes, it starts soon."

MAN: "Won't you come and play?"

ME: (Or maybe not.) "No, I have to go to work."

MAN: "Let's drink alcohol together!"

ME: (No response, as I had already scurried off.)

Although I originally really tried to give this guy the benefit of the doubt and convince myself that he wasn't a sick pervert, I was likely wrong. However, there is one other possible explanation--I was in the same town that Tom S. lives in. Maybe this guy had hung out with Tom and was led to believe that all ALTs have Mr. Hyde personalities when intoxicated and simply wanted to meet mine. (Tom, if you are reading this, I am sooo sorry. Hee-hee.)

:

Blogger Sarah said...

either i am proven wrong or he is in the outgoing sukebe category!! haha ...so you gonna join him???

January 19, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Okay, so he was probably just an outgoing sukebe, but he didn't look the stereotypical profile (he wasn't old, near a pachinko parlor, his speech wasn't slurred, and he had all his teeth).

Join him?... Uh, no.

January 19, 2006  
Blogger Selena said...

thats kindof creepy that some guys think its ok to do that here. I was walking home late one night, streets completely empty. A middle aged guy who could speak no english stopped, then followed me in his car for a good while- i ended up running for a bit, only to find that hed gone round the block to cut me off. and all cos he wanted me to teach him english. ah, prob. harmless enough, but the nerve!!!

January 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the first time something like this has happened to you? One of my female ALT friends had a guy come up and whisper some invitation in her ear while she was waiting for her train. Strange place, Japan.

January 21, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Selena: How scary! Even if it was all innocent, why would the guy think you would agree to teach him English after he stalked you with his car?

killdeer: The only guys I have had say anything creepy to me (besides students) are people that really looked the part. Even then, it's only happened when I'm in a city--who would chance saying something strange when you're in a village of 2,000?

January 21, 2006  
Blogger bec said...

oh no!! thats just such a funny story!! weirdo or what!! ah.

January 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet