Thursday, January 05, 2006

To go, or not to go...

As Gillian's recent blog entry discussed, those of us JETs not recontracting for next year must decide whether the Returners Conference in Tokyo next month is something worth paying for. The conference itself is free, but transportation (according to Gillian, 22,800 yen each way!), room, board, and entertainment are not.

If it is anything like the various other JET conference I've been to, I won't miss anything vital to survival (although that doesn't mean that the conferences didn't sometimes prove helpful). But still, there's this voice in my head saying, What if they give away the secret to life and you're not there to hear it? There's also another voice in my head (which coincidentally began speaking to me about the same time I was introduced to Steph). It keeps saying, What if you miss the party of a lifetime? However, as much as I like a good party, I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on one.

Anyway, I was hoping that some of you other leavers or people who have already left could give me some insight or advice on the topic. Onegaishimasu!

:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I already gave you my imput a while ago.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to respond to ther people's comments, but..why would you take the shink all the way to Tokyo, then take a regular train to Yokohama? Why not just take the shink to Shin-Yokohama? I'm probably like a child walking into the midlle of a movie here.

Anyway, here's an online timetable for shinkansens
http://www.world.eki-net.com/e_Trainsearch/e_timetable/index.html

January 05, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Thanks, Gillian. I'll be heading to Tokyo this month, expenses paid, so I really don't want to fork over that kind of dough next month when I've just been there.

Killdeer: Thanks for being a know-it-all! ;)

January 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome :)

January 07, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

i didn't go last year and i (eventually) got a job. I think the advice was to buy 'parachute'. also people picked up leaflets and handed them out at kencho.

January 11, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Thanks for the input, bc. Reservations are canceled. :)

January 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet