Saturday, January 07, 2006

The station! The station! The station's on fire!

We don't need no water, but we may need some food.

Yesterday morning, a 74-year-old man set fire to a structure at the Shimonoseki train station because he was "hungry and upset." And I thought I get cranky when I need food! Here's an article about it from Kyodo News:

Saturday January 7, 10:07 AM

LEAD: JR Shimonoseki Station destroyed by predawn fire

A fire broke out early Saturday at JR Shimonoseki Station in Yamaguchi Prefecture which destroyed the wooden facility that serves as one of the key terminal stations in southwestern Japan before it was put out about three hours later, the local police and fire department said.
No one was injured by the fire, which started at around 2 a.m. The authorities are investigating the cause of the blaze, which disrupted train services in the region.
According to the fire department, a Japan Railway employee noticed the fire and called for a fire engine shortly after 2 a.m.
JR workers tried to extinguish the fire, but failed to do so due to strong wind. The fire burned about 3,000 square meters of station facilities.
The current Shimonoseki Station building was built in 1942 and its classic delta roof design has been considered symbol of the city.
"I know that the station was to be renovated, but it is too bad that it vanished like this," said a 42-year-old woman. "It was such a cute station."
Shimonoseki Station, a gateway to Kyushu, is located on westernmost side of the Honshu main island. It is used by about 24,000 passengers daily.

The remains of Shimonoseki Train Station and the cleanup process.

:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

おもしろい 

January 07, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

I biked down to see it for myself yesterday...the poor station has been burned to a crisp...Glad I don't need to take any trains in the near future.
It's a bit scary that 74 year old pyromaniacs are able to set fire to things so close to where I live....

January 07, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

killdeer: I try to understand you, but it's like your speaking a different language. ;)

laura: It's really that bad? Maybe I'll go there tomorrow to have a look-see.

January 08, 2006  
Blogger . said...

Mate what is it with nutters in this country. On the train to Ube yesterday (the Onoda sen always has lunatics riding on it) and this old man in drag. And he was chatting to (annoying) the bloke next to him.

January 09, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Was the old man anyone we met at Tonga? Hee hee.

January 09, 2006  
Blogger . said...

No no. He was a mentalist. Street person I think. I have a snap on me keitai.

January 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet