Sunday, January 22, 2006

2006: Year of the (Under)Dog

In the sumo world, what has become the impossible in recent times has finally happened: A Japanese wrestler has won a tournament! Ozeki Tochiazuma won 14 of his 15 matches to win the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament yesterday evening. HOORAY! If he can do it again at the next tournament, he will be promoted to Yokozuna (Grand Champion)--a status that hasn't been held by a Japanese native in years now.

Tochiazuma throwing the surprised Mongolian grand champion, Asashoryu, to the dirt.

:

Blogger Turning Japanese said...

What can you tell me about the Osaka tournament? Lauren and I are going... I want to know more though.

January 22, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

You're going?! My family and I are thinking about going, too. The final night is the best to go, because that is when they give out the awards and you will know for sure if someone's getting promoted/demoted. If you stay until the end, you can even take a piece of it home with you, if you want. That will be a Sunday, but you should be able to take the next day off, as it will be during the students' break. Is there anything specific you want to know?

January 22, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Oops! By "it" (as in "take a piece of it"), I meant the sumo mound.

January 22, 2006  
Blogger pgepps said...

You've been tagged!

Cheers,
PGE

January 23, 2006  
Blogger J-girl said...

Thanks, PGE. I'll get you back later. ;)

January 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet