Yoshinoya, Here I Come!
"First Shipment of U.S. Beef Reaches Japan"
You can't imagine how happy I was to read the above news headline! It's been 2 years since Japan banned U.S. beef due to the country's first reported case of mad cow disease, which means it's been 2 years since I've eaten American beef. And I'm not the only one who's happy about the partial ban lift. Among others, Yoshinoya is elated.
Yoshinoya is a Japanese chain restaurant whose main staple was gyuudon (a beef on rice dish) until U.S. beef was banned. They refused to serve beef from any other country, so the company has been surviving on the revenue of their lesser-known dishes, waiting for U.S. beef to return to Japan.
When word of the American beef ban and subsequent discontinuation of Yoshinoya's beef menu reached Japanese people 2 years ago, tremendous lines of customers lined up at Yoshinoyas around Japan, hoping for a final gyuudon before the company had served its remaining beef. Coverage of gyuudon's farewell was all over the Japanese news. They even interviewed Japanese tourists in New York who said that they had come to the U.S. specifically because gyuudon was not discontinued at the Yoshinoya in Times Square.
Next month, gyuudon will make it's long-awaited return to Yoshinoya, much to its fans' delight. I can hardly wait!
You can't imagine how happy I was to read the above news headline! It's been 2 years since Japan banned U.S. beef due to the country's first reported case of mad cow disease, which means it's been 2 years since I've eaten American beef. And I'm not the only one who's happy about the partial ban lift. Among others, Yoshinoya is elated.
Yoshinoya is a Japanese chain restaurant whose main staple was gyuudon (a beef on rice dish) until U.S. beef was banned. They refused to serve beef from any other country, so the company has been surviving on the revenue of their lesser-known dishes, waiting for U.S. beef to return to Japan.
When word of the American beef ban and subsequent discontinuation of Yoshinoya's beef menu reached Japanese people 2 years ago, tremendous lines of customers lined up at Yoshinoyas around Japan, hoping for a final gyuudon before the company had served its remaining beef. Coverage of gyuudon's farewell was all over the Japanese news. They even interviewed Japanese tourists in New York who said that they had come to the U.S. specifically because gyuudon was not discontinued at the Yoshinoya in Times Square.
Next month, gyuudon will make it's long-awaited return to Yoshinoya, much to its fans' delight. I can hardly wait!
People lined up for a final bowl of Yoshinoya gyuudon (2 years ago).





:
What about Australian beef? That's what I bought while in Japan.
Jagaimo: I remember that. I was here. Apparently Aussie beef isn't fatty enough (which is good for me) and is cheaper (???) because of this. The only Yoshinoya to continue to sell Gyudon is the one at the Kyoto Racetrack. People would just go there to eat gyudon and there was some run on with an increase in betting turnover.
killdeer: I eat Australian beef here, too. Some Japanese restaurants won't serve it because of the slight differences, though.
goongirl: Isn't that weird about fat meat costing more money? Works out good for me, too. Especially when I buy chicken. Chicken fat--Eww!
Hmm..I don't remember Aussie beef being cheap...or non-fatty.
Darnit, killdeer! If you want to start a war with the Aussies, don't do it on my blog. They know where I live, you know.
yes, next time we need you to come dancing!!! do you notice the nice js on the blog...he he he!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Um, what are you talking about, Jagaimogirl? I wasn't starting a war. I liked the Australian beef. I actually didn't miss American beef when I was in Japan (uh oh, am I starting a war with the Americans now? ;) ) I was mainly curious about the rational mentioned in goongirl's comment. This is actually what Japanese restaurant owners told you?
Post a Comment
<< Home