NAME SEARCH--I need your help!
As I briefly mentioned several months back, I am searching for a new first name to legally change mine to upon my return to the U.S. next year. To assist me in choosing a new name, I am seeking YOUR advice. (I know--I'm crazy.)
WHY DO I WANT TO CHANGE MY NAME?
There is a myriad of reasons. Here are a few:

WHY DO I WANT TO CHANGE MY NAME?
There is a myriad of reasons. Here are a few:
- Cindi sounds like a nickname, not a real name.
- It is cute and all, but after spending 3 years in Japan, I am sure that I will have had my fill of "cute".
- The majority of characters in movies and on TV that are named Cindi are blond cheerleaders. I have nothing against blond cheerleaders, but I AM NOT A BLOND CHEERLEADER.
- I learned from Kat that my name is also that of the British Barbie.
- I look young for my age. I look even younger in the U.S. Looking young for your age isn't bad thing, except when it is to the point where you are sometimes asked if you are 17 when you buy rated-R movie tickets, or when you are hired to play the role of a 16-year-old trying to buy cigarettes in an Albertson's grocery store employee training video (umm, this may or may not be a real-life example). I am tired of being treated like a kid in the States. My name only adds to the belief that I am young. It has to go.
WHAT KIND OF NAME AM I LOOKING FOR?
I am looking to change my name to something that sounds more mature, professional and intelligent. (Don't laugh!) By the way, "Cynthia" is NOT an option. That is my mother-in-law's name. (Enough said about that.)
OKAY--Now that I have explained the issue at hand, let the name suggestions commence! (No submitting dirty words or explicatives, please.)

Today on www.thebugbrothers.blogspot.com: Painted Lady




:
I always thought Veronica and Alexa were sophis, grown up names...but I spose somethingkind of similar to Cindi would be good so how about Calesta, Courtney or Celia? I'm liking Courtney...
You think a new name will change anything? Right. Just like gray hair will make me seem mature.
What's the real reason? Are you in the witness protection program? Is that why you're in Japan? And you can't come back to the US with the same name? Wow, you think you know someone.
Hmmm, you want more mature. I always thought Audrey was an older aunt type name (too old for you). I did recently teach an Audrey.
I love Ruby. Just a name I like. A good friend is called Rachael. I could see you with that. It is nice shortened to Rach for friends. Another friend name I really like is Lucy...
Wow what a hard job though...
How about Candy? Just kidding...
My old boss went by Cindy but her legal name was Shelagh ("Sheila" would be an easier spelling though..). How about Simone or Savannah or Charlotte? Those sound sort of similar to Cindi.
Rachel....Susan...Rebecca??? I dunno, what kind of image are you looking for. Names are hard- they are much easier when you don:t have a choice i think.
Of the names suggested so far, I like Courtney and Rachael the best, in that order.
Thanks for the names so far, Guys! Keep 'em coming. I think after a week or so, I'll pick my favorite half dozen from the ones suggested, throw a couple of ones I've been thinking about in, and then set up a poll and see what happens.
Wow, actually naming someone by blog!
Hmmmmmm....
Well, you could pass for a Victoria, if you wanted, but make people shorten it to "Vic" instead of "Vicky" if you do. It has a sort of old/young quirky thing going.
Or, you could piggyback on the '90s trend of using surnames: Courtney was one example, what if you went for the transposition and tried "Sydney" (or Cydni, Cidney, Sidney, whatever nifty hypermodern spelling you want--I'd avoid Sidney, since that's an old guy who works at a TV repair shop--y'know Sid, and his partner Merle, and Merle's wife Ethel, and so on)?
You could be a Naomi if you wanted, which has nice resonance and also a Japanese equivalent. You are not an Amy/Emi, so skip that.
Alice is out, unless you take up smoking and work as a waitress.
Wow, so many possibilities. Better take suggestions from folks with kids--us singles haven't really had to take names seriously very much.
Of course, this would be even better if your name were Rose, now, 'cuz then we could make Shakespearean puns about the process.
Cheers,
PGE
Oh, I like the Naomi suggestion....but being a Victoria, it's hard to encourage someone to steal your name...
Sophie/Sophia. Fack. You wanna keep it nearish to Cindi? Um Julia? I like Lucy a lot and if you wanna spice it up, Lucia. You can't have my name though. Unless you spell it will a f or something. ;)
I don't necessarily want to keep my name close to "Cindi", so be as creative or as mundane as you want to be. Keep up the good work! This is interesting.
Ooohhh names...I love names...let me think today at work and I will get back to you. :)
How about Cynthia or Crystal?
Just a small thought. What if your sons decided they wanted to change their names. Perhaps one wanted to be called Jeremy and the other, I don't know, Eddie. Like, they decide they don't like the names you've given them. You'd be ok with that?
Also, for the rest of us that know you (and have known you) by your current name, are we going to be protected under a grandfather clause? We can still call you by your current name, right?
killdeer: I'm changing my name mostly for professional reasons. My family and everyone who already knows me can continue to call me Cindi. And, yes my kids can change their names once they're adults. I tried to give them names that don't sound like nicknames, but if they want to, they can.
Sue: Looking forward to hearing your input. :)
Kat: Nice ideas. I looked up Celia's meaning, which is "blind", so that one's probably out. But the others I will think about.
Victoria: Don't worry--I won't steal your name against your will. I do like it, though.
Laura: Candy? I guess that would work as a professional name, but not any profession I'm going into!
PGE: Wow! That was a nice lengthy comment. Loved it. The transposition idea is interesting.
goongirl: If I spelled your name Stefanie, people would pronounce it like Gwen "Stefani". That would be a pain!
Post a Comment
<< Home