Adorable Excrement
Why do so many Japanese children have a strange fascination with fecal matter? When I take my children for their weekly visit to our local library, my 3-year-old usually makes at least one selection from the wide assortment of picture books about unchi (poop). When I pick him up from preschool, his classmates often want to discuss unchi with me. And have you seen the keychains and stationery featuring piles of golden dumps? I have been told by my high school students "they're cute." Maybe it's ethnocentric of me, but I always thought that the repulsiveness of feces was universal.
The other day when my 8-year-old complained that a girl at school who has a crush on him keeps wiping her boogers on his desk, I couldn't help but think to myself, "At least boogers are better than unchi!"
The other day when my 8-year-old complained that a girl at school who has a crush on him keeps wiping her boogers on his desk, I couldn't help but think to myself, "At least boogers are better than unchi!"
Mmm... Unchi gummy candy!






:
Again I just have to ask you... Why can't I show my lower back?
Crap is crap the whole world over. Put a bow on it and a pair or eyes... it is still crap!
Mate, that back thing has really got ya goat eh? Pisses me off too. I have a nice scar there and I for the life of me can't imagine how THAT would be tempting to those hormonal little boys. Yeah one of the nutter girls at my school has books on poo.
tj: I'm with you--I would much rather have my kids show their lower back than their poo.
gg: Still having problems with your schools complaining about the boys liking your body? It's because you aren't toothpick thin. The boys will always look at you because you're different. Shou ga nai!
Feces repulsion is transcultural. The Japanese are just weird. But at least it's kawaii weird in Japan, and not freak-show weird like Germany.
Cheers,
PGE
Post a Comment
<< Home