14-Hour Flight to McDonald's
A Japanese English teacher whom I work with is planning to take a three-day trip to the U.S. during winter vacation. It will be her first trip abroad, so I tried to encourage her lengthen her stay. However, she will be staying with a former ALT and is worried she will be bothersome. Three days is barely enough time to overcome jet lag, let alone get a feel for a foreign country!
What I find almost equally disturbing is that she is making McDonald’s a part of her American itinerary. When she told me she wanted to eat a hamburger in America, I recommend that she ask her host about good hamburger restaurants in the area, as there are many hamburger joints far superior to Mickey D’s, but she is convinced that McDonald’s is the place to go. So much for trying to shatter overused stereotypes of United States...sigh...
What I find almost equally disturbing is that she is making McDonald’s a part of her American itinerary. When she told me she wanted to eat a hamburger in America, I recommend that she ask her host about good hamburger restaurants in the area, as there are many hamburger joints far superior to Mickey D’s, but she is convinced that McDonald’s is the place to go. So much for trying to shatter overused stereotypes of United States...sigh...




:
Ah "the" Japan at its finest. Yeah where I live the Japanese tourists come in for like 4 days, do the theme parks, eat a crappy steak, eat some seafood and buy macadamia nuts all while on an organised to the second tour.
Post a Comment
<< Home