Tuesday, November 15, 2005

1 American, 2 Halves

I have a question for those of you that have ethnic roots that are non-Caucasian: How do you explain your background to Japanese people in a way that they understand? For example, I am half Japanese American and half Caucasian American (Pennsylvanian Dutch, Irish, French, etc.—basically a whole mixed bag of White). When I explain this to Japanese people, they inevitably end up telling me I am half Japanese and half American. I usually further explain that being American does not mean that one is any certain race; it just means that one is a citizen of the United States. They still do not understand. I then go on to tell them that I am only half Japanese in race, not citizenship, and therefore I am 100% American. Usually the closest to understanding I get at this point is, "So you are one-quarter Japanese and three-quarters American?" Argh! Some days this doesn’t frustrate me as much as others. I must be particularly sensitive today, because it is definitely bothering me.

:

Blogger J-girl said...

Not really. They think American = White, so they just don't understand. Some of them are still convinced my African American predecessor with dreads from Kentucky was Jamaican. Oh well. I'll get over it.

November 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*waves* hisashiburi! this issue really frustrates me, too--and I am annoyed that my appearance serves to further reinforce their preconceived notions about what Americans should look like. whenever teachers tell me to explain "what americans like to eat," or "what americans think of nantoka," I know that they just want me to smile and talk about hamburgers or something...but my favorite part about america is that it can't be broken down like that. I try to tell them that we have basically any food and any viewtype you can think of--and I try to explain to them that calling you "japanese" is exactly the same as calling me "irish." It's surprising how hard it is for them to understand the idea of a plurality of cultures existing in the same country. sometimes it strikes me as so naive. I don't know how to get this idea across because they don't seem to have much experience in thinking about this kind of issue (of course, americans have lots).

November 17, 2005  
Blogger J-girl said...

Erin! Long time no see! Just so you don't worry, I am taking good care of your DVDs. Should I bring them to Midyear, or will you have enough room to carry them back?

Anyway, I know I should be patient with Japanese people understanding my ethnicity and citizenship, but this is my 3RD YEAR here, and some of the people that don't understand are the SAME people I was trying to explain it to when I first arrived. Hopefully they will eventually get it.

November 17, 2005  
Blogger . said...

The kids and teachers just don't get it that my family name is an Anglicised Greek name. And that I have family all over the world. I show them photos of my mates back home and one of them is Thai (but mate she is Aussier than me and makes me look like a nun) "Oh Thai jin" No she has Australian Citizenship. Bah.

November 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cindi, Are you coming to soccer tournament?

Pete

November 17, 2005  
Blogger J-girl said...

Sorry to say I can't make it, Pete. Are you feeling well enough to play yet? Either way, good luck & have fun!

November 18, 2005  
Blogger fishy business said...

The missus says it is a blood thing and in a way that is more important than the nationality. Hence people who have Korean heritage but who were born in Japan and have lived here all their lives can still be thought of as Korean and not Japanese. However, the Japanese Government also makes it bloody difficult for them to become Japanese. In terms of citizenship. I guess that in paternal Japan the father's blood is maybe also more important than the mother's.

November 20, 2005  
Blogger J-girl said...

Interesting points, Shaun. Still, I would much rather be considered a foreign outsider than a Japanese person appears slow in the head because she can't read or speak the language/culture well.

November 20, 2005  
Blogger megan said...

With "Takagi" for a last name and looking as I do, combined with 21 different schools to visit, each with at least three classes (i.e. at least three different self-introduction sessions), that issue can become very frustrating! All my students say the same thing: oh, then your father is Japanese and your mother is American. well, no. Then I try to explain that my father can't even speak Japanese, which gets even more looks. What *usually* generates the least amount of confusion is when I say that both my father and I are American, but he is yon-sei (4th generation Japanese-American) and I am go-sei (5th generation), and that his ancestors came from Japan to Hawaii long, long ago. That usually shuts them up, or at least leaves the JTE a chance to quickly explain yon-sei/go-sei if they haven't heard those terms before.

November 25, 2005  
Blogger J-girl said...

I've tried that approach, but since I'm sansei (3rd generation), they are confused why my Japanese isn't better, and they can't believe my father never spoke it around me when I was growing up. And they still don't get that my Dad AND I are American because 3 generations doesn't sound that long ago to them. I sometimes go back and explain how my father was 15 years old when Japan went to war with America, and that a lot of Japanese culture was lost as a result, but that can be a touchy subject. I'm glad I don't have 21 different schools to explain it to, though! Good luck with that!

November 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! you can bring the dvds to midyear (if you can manage to carry them). I hope you're enjoying them--see you soon!

November 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet