Wednesday, October 05, 2005

"21 J-Street"?

When I was in junior high and high school, my girlfriends and I religiously watched 21 Jump Street every Sunday night. For those of you who are too young to remember, Jump Street is the television show that launched actor Johnny Depp's career. It is about a group of undercover cops who pose as underage adolescents for the purpose of fighting crime.

Marcia, an especially close classmate buddy of mine, was desperately in love with Johnny Depp, placing her among his first group of crazed fans. On the other hand (and I hesitate to even admit this), I was a big fan of Richard Grieco from the series, placing me among his first and last group of crazed fans. (Marcia was known to have better taste than me--this is why.)

Since living in Japan, I ordered the 21 Jump Street DVDs as they became released. I don't watch them for the quality (the show has always been more about style than content), nor do I watch because I still lust after Richard Grieco (I DO NOT!). I watch them because they bring me some sort of nostalgic comfort and are a welcome change from Japanese television. I am currently viewing season 3--the season Grieco joined the cast.

Last night as I was watching the episode where all the cops are posing as teenage prostitute runaways to bust a middle-aged pervert who bludgeoned a young homeless man to death, a certain question kept coming to mind: Was Richard Grieco a J-boy wannabe ahead of his time? I mean, he had the almost-too-well-groomed eyebrows, the very-groomed-but-going-for-the-ungroomed-look hair, as well as a bit of eye makeup. Granted, he was much too muscular to be true J-boy style, but still strikingly similar.

This 1st question eventually triggered a 2nd: If I had attended school in Japan when I was a teen, would I have been attracted to J-boys with muscles (that is, assuming there were J-boys with muscles)?

Finally, a 3rd question followed: Do I need to once again find a more constructive way to spend my free time?

After much meditation, an answer came to me: YES. (I'll let you guess which of the above questions this answer corresponds to.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to think this man was a babe. (Surprising evidence suggesting I may have actually been less sane in the U.S. than in Japan.)

Mr. Johnny Depp and the lesser-known cast of the 21 Jump Street television series.

:

Blogger Turning Japanese said...

Love! Love! Loved the show. Can't remember every episode or all the names but loved it!
Can I pretty please borrow season 1?

October 06, 2005  
Blogger J-girl said...

Sure! I'll bring it to kencho next week. :)

October 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet