Japanese friendship means kanchou. And kanchou means someone gets stuck behind.
While conversing at the Shrimp Catching Festival (which was good fun, by the way, despite the sunburn and jellyfish stings), it came to my attention that not only do many of the neophyte JETs have yet to receive or witness a kanchou, but there also some 2nd years who have yet to experience this essential part of Japanese culture. Steph and I, being the proponents of cultural education that we are, encouraged my son Jared to give a live demonstration using Pete as the guinea pig. Unfortunately, this was to no avail. Thus, I have decided go below and beyond my call as an ALT and give a better explaination of the kanchou and provide a snapshot of an actual kanchou about to take place (see above).The original definition of kanchou is "enema" or "injection". What it has come to refer to is the event of someone (usually a child) jabbing their finger up the butt of another. It sounds really strange (and it is), but it is not sexual or hostile. In fact, it is usually a sign of friendship. Females are rarely the recipients of kanchou (Hallelujah!), but males, and especially gaijin teachers of young children, are likely receive them day in and day out.
In the above picture, my husband is about to receive a kanchou from one of my oldest son's classmates. Note the impish look of glee the young child has on his face as he is about to victimize the unsuspecting man.




:
It is a real shame that Pete didn't get kancho-ed. You say females don't cop the kancho. I experienced something far more hilarious yesterday. A third year made a comment about my chikubi and my oppainess. What was funny was his freak out when I said that's shitsurei and nihongo daitai wakaru yo. His mates gave him heaps! HAHA.
This is one of my all time favourite blog entries. Great photo. I think I will pass it onto friends...
goongirl: If you enjoyed receiving comments from students on your body, you are probably going to LOVE teaching in Japan!
turning japanese: Cool! Feel free to pass the photo around--it will really embarrass my husband, which I will enjoy. =) BTW, you have the cutest avatar I have ever seen.
jagaimogirl: not in the slightest. I just thought it was funny. At the school i went to if you said something remotely rude to a teacher. BAM friday arvo detention. I just thought it was rather forward coming from a 15 year old boy and his embarressment and subsequent chastising from his mates made it amusing. Believe me I hate comments about my body. 9 times out of 10 if a guy say hey you have a nice rack, nice bum, eyes whatever they generally end give my martini on their face. The reason it is 9 out 10, the 10th is usually hot! :P
So was this 15-year-old the "10th" one? ...Kidding! Seriously kidding!
You! *shakes fist*
Sick creature. lol.
I haven't seen a 15 year old in a club since I was 15.....this typhoon is such a let down. I thought cows would be flying around a la Wizard of Oz. Been home since 1.30pm....mmmm Mon Frere.
Bloody mon frere my spelling and grammar suck!
What exactly did you mean by "mmmm Mon Frere"? Having desire for your brother is every bit as sick as the 15-year-old! :p
Remove your mind from the sewer. Mon Frere is that 3 buck chuck that I worship.
Sick sick girl. Bad taste jokes is my job!
Post a Comment
<< Home