Monday, September 26, 2005

Fatal Fluid?

During today's lunch break, I accompanied one of my Japanese co-workers on a trip to a convenience store. After we entered the store, she spotted a brand of cigarettes she had never seen before and encouraged me to buy some, though neither one of us smoke. She tried her best to persuade me, but I still declined. This resulted in her noticeable disappointment.

On the way back to school, she noted the Diet Coke I had purchased and told me, "Diet Coke is bad for your health. You shouldn't drink it. You could die."

Is it just me, or was this kind of weird?

:

Blogger . said...

Ah yes Japanese "logic"! It is in the same league as not wearing your seatbelt in the backseat is safe or wearing a helmet on one's bicycle. But smoking 3 packs a day is perfectly safe.

September 26, 2005  
Blogger Turning Japanese said...

Yeah. Put that in the weird basket... Along with so many other things. I still can't understand the fact that I can't show my lower back but people on tv can wear anything or NOTHING.

September 27, 2005  
Blogger . said...

Turning Japanese; Oh bloody hell that annoys me too. Like I am playing soccer of course my bloody shirt is gonna rise up.

September 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To inform those that may be scared of the ill-effects of Diet coke. It does not cause cancer...No studies back this up - just inconclusive evidence and problematic sampling....To answer the woman (and her dislike for diet coke) - Just mention that diabetes, diabetes related symptoms and Obesity are directly or indirectly linked to over 50% of deaths in the USA....STICK TO THE DIET COKE GIRL. Sux how Japan can be like that though.

September 27, 2005  
Blogger J-girl said...

goongirl: Like you, I like to live dangerously (or at least pretend to live dangerously), so this occurrence only gave me more reason to drink Diet Coke. It is much more thrilling for me now.

T.J.: I was wearing layered shirts the other day and the top one lifted up slightly in the back (although the one underneath was still covering my skin). This lady I didn't even know gasped and pulled down the top shirt for me. I find this type of thing very amusing.

Stubby: I should've known a blog mentioning health issues would lure you out of the woodwork! Did you get some rest after I saw you at Starbucks? Good to hear from you. You should comment more often.

September 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet