Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Another Fashion Crisis

WARNING: I have been known to dwell on things from time to time, and this is one of those times. Proceed at your own risk.

Those of you who attend Japanese class in Shimonoseki already know I was a bit perturbed and disturbed by the way my high school students reacted when I encountered them while sporting my "regular" clothes on the way to Monday's lesson.

For those of you who have not already suffered through my sob story, I will recapitulate:

As I entered my local train station to make my weekly journey to Japanese class in Shimonoseki, I was immediately spotted by a group of my female students, who were very curious about why I was dressed the way I was. They approached me with the purpose of finding out. First they asked me, "Are you going swimming?" When I answered negatively, they asked, "Did you go swimming?" When that, too, didn't explain my clothing, they proceeded with, "Are you going to the beach?" Finally, I was asked, "Aren't you cold?"

What's more, other students were pointing, giggling and whispering about my threads, while still others were taking photos of me with their cell phones while trying to remain unnoticed. In fact, while I was waiting for the train to arrive, the worst-behaved student in the entire school was squatting down a short distance away from me, striking a pose while his friend snapped the shot. My students continued to behave in this manner for the endurance of my train ride.

The sad part is, I honestly thought what I was wearing was perfectly acceptable--jeans, sandals and layered tanks (by the way, NEITHER of the tanks were featured in my blog entry J-Fashion Victim). Do I really dress that strange? Seriously--I want to know the truth.

:

Blogger . said...

Remember "the" Japan has 4 distinct seasons and because the mercury has dropped below 30 degrees and it is almost October it must be samui. Look they're twats, drones to be in the rat race of "the" Japan. You don't dress like a slurry. Don't worry about it.

September 27, 2005  
Blogger J-girl said...

Gillian:
Thanks. I guess I never really thought about the sequins. I didn't feel like I was all that dressed up, either. Come to think of it, I have quite a few sequins in my wardrobe...

goongirl:
Surprisingly, I find it reassuring that the girl who has been seen in public wearing a chicken hat and El Diablo mask thinks there is nothing wrong with the way I dress. :p See you Saturday.

September 27, 2005  
Blogger . said...

Hey come on. I dress like the village idiot cos I get live outside myself once and again. As for normal clothes I come to school dressed in boardshorts and a t-shirt (cos I bike) and then get changed so the kids aren't fazed by it. Hey was I dressed badly in Fukuoka? No. That is something I would where out in Aus. :P see you sat. Have you go your hat yet?

September 27, 2005  
Blogger Selena said...

I thought what you were wearing looked really good. prob just the whole season change thing like Steph said- i doubt they wouldve commented a week ago! the students have started bringing their jackets into school, even though its still pretty hot outside. everyhting by the book!

September 28, 2005  
Blogger J-girl said...

goongirl: Sorry, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to annoy you. I was just kidding. :) You dress fine.
I'm still looking for a hat. What does YOURS look like (or do I want to know)?

Selena: True, very true. But you'd think it would occur to them that I'm not Japanese.

September 28, 2005  
Blogger . said...

My hat... hmmm I might bring out old faithful. Novelty store Bulldog, should have some hats.

September 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Shout Outs

Sugoi Sites

  • acrophobia (the game)
  • bunny suicides
  • ebonics translator
  • domo-kun
  • emily the strange
  • flavorgirl
  • fruits j-fashion
  • geek gear
  • halvsies
  • j american citizens league
  • j american wwii experience
  • japandering ads
  • language translator
  • offbeat usa
  • pucca
  • roger shimomura
  • save a life
  • sumo
  • tropical storms
  • yamaguchi ajet